BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
These BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches feature a “meaty” mix of jackfruit and chickpeas tossed in spices, garlic, and a bit of BBQ sauce. Pile it all on top of a toasted bun with slaw and dinner is ready!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 14-ounce can young jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- several good shakes of paprika, chili powder, and onion powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- ideally, a pre-made slaw bag mix!
- otherwise: thinly sliced cabbage + mayo, lemon juice or vinegar, sugar and salt
- toasted buns (I like brioche buns)
- any other toppings you like – I’d recommend avocado, pepperoncini, pickles, hot sauce, etc.
- Shred the Jackfruit: Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the jackfruit and break it apart into “shreds” with the back of a spoon.
- Make the Filling: In a small chopper or food processor, pulse your chickpeas and garlic until they have a finely chopped texture. Add the mixture to the pan, along with the brown sugar and spices. Stir it all up to get it seasoned and happy. Add barbecue sauce and let it get a little roasty. More undisturbed time in the pan = more meat-like browning.
- Assemble Sandwiches: Serve your jackfruit BBQ on a bun topped with slaw and anything else you like! Add a pile of salt & pepper chips to your plate and you are in delicious business.
Nutrition info includes the BBQ jackfruit, buns, and slaw.